Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Austin Explorer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:39:05 AM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

Groups: Admin, Administrators, BetaUser, Registered, TrustedUser

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Geocaching.com has done away with virtual caches some time ago, though they graciously grandfathered in those that were set up prior to their termination as a valid cache type. Coppertone and I still have several that are active they continue to draw visitors.

Confirming virtual cache finds was always a pain because you'd get emails or Geocaching.com notes from cachers and you'd have to respond confirming or denying their find. Years ago I set up an automated system on AustinExplorer.com to confirm the find without requiring my manual intervention. It's worked pretty great and makes keeping the virtual cache active after many years a breeze.

The problem was the original system was tied into the caches that used to be shadowed on AustinExplorer.com. This meant only caches in the Austin-area could utilize the auto-confirmation system. Though shadowing of caches was removed from the site, the auto-confirmation system still relied on it, until now.

The first caches out of the central Texas area to use the auto-confirm system are two of my own from north Texas Grayson County Historical Marker #2 and Grayson County Historical Marker #3.

Though virtual caches have come and gone, if you are the owner of a virtual cache anywhere in the world and would like to use an automated confirmation system to make maintenance easier just send me a note and we can get you set up easily.
Robert
Austin Explorer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 6:19:33 PM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

Groups: Admin, Administrators, BetaUser, Registered, TrustedUser

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
As it turns out, there are going to be some new virtuals added to Geocaching.com! A total of 4,000 geocachers will be selected to hide new virtual caches as part of the Virtual Rewards 2.0 promotion. The announcement makes it clear that virtuals remain a grandfathered cache type however.

Sign up (before June 1st) to be chosen as a new virtual cache owner then you can use AustinExplorer.com's virtual cache confirmation feature. There are some eligibility requirements:

• Virtual Reward: You did not receive a previous Virtual Reward.
  • Ownership: You must own at least two active non-event geocaches.
  • Hidden: You must own at least one geocache published within the past four years (May 14, 2015 to May 14, 2019).
  • Activity: You must have posted a log on a geocache within the past four months.
  • Quality: Your owned geocaches must have at least 25 total Favorite points.

Let us know how you do!

UserPostedImage
Robert